I went to the European Premiere of Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them.
Oh yes I did.
We had an absolute ball.
Meeting old friends, spending quality time together, getting excited, sharing jewellery, handbags, fashion advice and make-up tips. Not to mention the cocktails.
The film itself lived up to every expectation. In Odeon Leicester Square, the sound quality is so intense, your seats actually vibrate. The creatures, the acting, the story, the setting and most powerfully, the themes, held us all (regardless of age) rapt in our seats. You can read a more detailed review here.
A few things I learned about premieres:
- The carpet’s not always red.
- You cannot walk on cobbles in heels.
- Dress so you feel fabulous AND comfortable.
- When Non-Famous You gets out of the car, you can hear the fans groan.
- Only professionals manage to keep red lipstick off their teeth.
- Security geezers are truly amazing.
- Warner Bros throw fine parties – Kowalski’s Bakery won.
- Meeting the actors when prepared is incredible. When unprepared, you dribble.
- It takes at least 24 hours and several conversations before you appreciate the film.
- It takes at least 24 hours and several conversations before you remember the party.
An extraordinary Tuesday night.
A brilliant film I’ll watch again and again.
The first of five? Bring ’em on.